tools-wench

Notice of Temporary Closure

In a pre-emptive measure to protect visitors and staff from potential exposure to COVID-19, the Bank of Canada Museum has temporarily closed to the public and suspended all public programming.

The Museum Blog

Latest

October 28, 2013

Director’s chair : A little help from our friends

By: Ken Ross


In one of my favourite cinematic moments, the 11 year-old chess prodigy, Josh Waitzkin, imagines sweeping the pieces off a chess board in order to help him think more clearly about an important game of chess. It is a championship game and he is on the brink of winning it all.
Content Type(s): Blog Subject(s): About Us
October 7, 2013

The Cases are Almost Empty

By: Graham Iddon


For the first time since they went into their cases in 1980, over 2000 coins, notes, beads and shells are coming back out. The Museum’s curatorial staff are busily pulling panels from cases, placing coins into specially prepared drawers and sliding notes into acid-free Mylar envelopes.
Content Type(s): Blog Subject(s): Collection
September 24, 2013

Curators Begin Removal of Artifacts

By: Graham Iddon


The doors were barely closed following Big Top Farewell event before Chief Curator Paul Berry and his team began emptying display cases that had been sealed shut since 1980. The biggest task involved removing more than 2500 bank notes from the room we knew as Gallery 8.
Content Type(s): Blog Subject(s): Collection
September 16, 2013

Notes from the Collection : 2013 RCNA Convention Winnipeg

By: David Bergeron


Another convention of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association (RCNA) wrapped up in July. This year the convention was held in Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was the first time in over thirty years that the RCNA Convention made a stop there.
Content Type(s): Blog Subject(s): Reviews
September 6, 2013

First Artifacts to Leave the Museum: And they were big

By: Graham Iddon


Before the museum closed for renovations on 2 July, technicians began to remove the heavier artifacts in late May. First to go was the strong box. Built of ¼” thick welded steel plates, this trunk was used by the Bank of Upper Canada in Toronto between 1821 and 1866.
Content Type(s): Blog Subject(s): Collection

30 Bank Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0G9, CANADA
613-782-8914