Welcome to our Museum!
Hours of Operation
Summer Hours (May 1st to October 1st)
Monday to Sunday, from 10:00 to 17:00
December 22, 2018 to January 1st, 2019
Regular Hours (October 1st to May 1st)
Tuesday to Sunday, from 10:00 to 17:00
Surprise, it’s money!
See and touch an amazing array of objects that have served as money at one time or another. Then join us in the Museum—explore the games, multimedia, videos and even more surprising artifacts. It’s fun, engaging, and a great way to learn the role the Bank of Canada plays in the Canadian economy.
Reservations are required:
General Museum Tour
Get the Most From Your Visit—Take a Guided Tour
What is money? Is it just paper and coins? Can it be shells or wood? Maybe it’s bits and bytes? We have a central bank, what on earth does it do?
Take a fun and enlightening tour of the Bank of Canada Museum. Get a handle on economic basics, the importance of inflation, the forces of supply and demand, money’s evolving forms and where you fit into the whole machine. We’ll give you a peek behind the scenes of the Bank of Canada where you’ll discover that you are the economy.
From July 2 to September 30
French tour: 11:00
English tour: 14:00
From October 1 to June 30
Reservations are required:
Duration: One hour (guided tour)
The last tour of the day: 16:00
- reservations are required for groups of 10 persons and more
- recommended for ages 12 and older
How to Find Us
Located at 30 Bank Street, at the corner of Bank and Wellington streets, we are at the west end of Parliament Hill and just off the Sparks Street Mall. Look for the glass pyramid structure facing Bank Street.
- From Gatineau: Any Société de transport de l'Outaouais (STO) bus with a route passing through downtown Ottawa will take you to the Museum. Exit the bus at the Wellington/Bank Street stop. Please see the STO website for routes and schedules.
- From Ottawa: Take OC Transpo Transitway buses to the Bank Street stop or Bank Street buses to the Sparks Street stop. Please see the OC Transpo website for routes and schedules.
- From Highway 417 eastbound: Take the Kent Street exit and drive north to Wellington Street. Turn right on Wellington and proceed to Bank Street.
- From Highway 417 westbound: Take the Catherine Street exit and travel west on Catherine to Kent Street. Turn right on Kent and drive north to Wellington Street. Turn right on Wellington and proceed to Bank Street.
- From Gatineau: Cross the river on the Portage Bridge and turn left onto Wellington Street. Proceed to Bank Street.
There are a number of public parking lots within easy walking distance as well as street parking in nearby residential areas.
Code of Conduct
You wouldn’t jump on the furniture or shout at your grandmother’s house, would you? No, you wouldn’t. And as a guest of the Bank of Canada Museum, we ask you to make the same consideration when you are at our house. Please observe a few house rules while visiting the Museum so that everybody can enjoy their experience:
- Feel free to take photographs.
- Set your cellphone to silent.
- Food and drink are not permitted.
- We welcome service animals, but pets are not permitted.
- You may leave coats and other personal items in our free cloakroom. Note that we cannot take responsibility for lost or stolen articles.
- Do not lean on cases, touch artifacts or run in the galleries.
- Smoking of any kind (including e-cigarettes) is prohibited in the Museum and on the outdoor plaza.
- In the event of any emergency, please approach a member of the floor staff first. They are trained in first aid and have immediate access to security and emergency services.
- Be nice. Visitors behaving in an abusive, disruptive or offensive fashion will be asked to leave.
- Don’t hesitate to approach any of our staff members with questions about the artifacts or content.